torch bearer
bringing the light of Jesus to a dark world John 8:12

Dangling By the Rope of Life

The old adage of "I'm at the end of the rope" is addressed in scripture.

We have all repeated this saying in one form or another throughout our life. Emotions, relationships, finances, stress, school, job, whatever. It is something that we are supposed to think is normal or just a part of life. The fact that we are so weak, so done and have nothing left to rely on. God doesn't think so.

I once had to rescue Ken, my oldest, from the side of a cliff. He was dangling about 20 feet over a pond. His little hand desperately clinging to a tree root. He thought, and mom thought, that death was a certainty. He wasn't sure how long he was going to be able to hold on. All the onlookers weren't sure how long he was going to hold on (of course none of them stepped in to help either!). He was clinging with all he had to that root. As myself and a friend stretched ourselves over the edge and I reached out my hand to him, he gladly took it. He was now clinging to something he trusted…me. As I pulled him to safety he was so relieved that he wasn't having to do the work. I became a hero to him that day as he clung to my hand. What every dad wants, to be his son's hero!

Psalm 63:8 says, "My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me." If you are clinging to the rope of life, no wonder there is no strength left. When we redirect our energy to clinging to God and we let His strength uphold us, the world changes for us. When we put our hand in his and allow Him to do the work, allow Him to be our hero, what a relief comes.

How can we make sure our soul clings to Him? I want to hear your thoughts.

2 comments:

Sadly enough, sometimes my biggest struggle is even believing God is right there reaching for me. It's the classic case of even beginning to reach out that's my struggle. But once I do, and as long as I keep looking into God's face, I find the strength to hang on.


I agree Pam. I think it is the habit thing. The more we do it the "easier" it becomes. The more we reach out, even when we don't have much faith, and we find He is there...the next time will be easier.


Subscribe Now: Feed Icon

About Me

My photo
Asotin, WA, United States
Follower of Jesus, husband, dad, and called to be His torch bearer to the world.

Blogs I Read

Followers