torch bearer
bringing the light of Jesus to a dark world John 8:12

I'm Home

We were gone for a few days after Christmas.  Headed to the wet side of Washington to see family and just to get away for a bit.  In order to do that, we had to leave our beloved LC Valley behind; the beauty of the Snake River, the sun, the rugged rocks carved by water, and just the awesome people.  We did have a wonderful time seeing our parents, siblings, cousins and grandparents.  It's always good to spend time with them.  But it is always good to head home too.

Before I go on, I must tell you about one factory here in the valley that helps make us very distinct.  Those who grew up around Everett or Tacoma will know what I am talking about.  In fact, growing up, I lovingly refered to it as the "aroma of Tacoma".  Here, Lewiston is commonly called "Pewiston".  That's right, we have a pulp and paper mill.  But we love it!  It's a huge employer and they are a very community oriented company.  No matter how thankful we are for this company, it still has a very distinct odor.  My kids say it smells like the valley is filled with broccoli.  The funny thing is, you don't notice it after a while.  It just is there and a part of life.

So, back to coming home.

As we dropped down the long 7% grade into the LC Valley we caught a wiff of the mill.  Wow, had I forgotten what that smelled like!  It had been a few days and my nose had completely cleared itself of the smell.  But the funny thing is, everyone in my family excitedly said at the same time..."We are home!"  The smell told us we were home.

It made me think of the times that I have strayed from the presence of God.  How I had left and then decided to come back.  I have, at times, almost forgotten what it was like to be in His presence.  To have the aroma of God penetrate every part of me.  (I'm glad his presence doesn't remind me of cooked broccoli, just saying).  But evertime I have chosen to come back "home", I have been greeted with that distinctive aroma of God's presence.  And everytime I tell myself..."I am home!"

I challenge you this year, if you are not at home with God right now, head home.  Go toward that smell and presence of God.  Most likely you know the road to take, most likely you know it well.  Find your way back home.  There is a great sense of relief when you can say..."I am home!"

0 comments:

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon

About Me

My photo
Asotin, WA, United States
Follower of Jesus, husband, dad, and called to be His torch bearer to the world.

Blogs I Read

Followers