torch bearer
bringing the light of Jesus to a dark world John 8:12

Freedom in the Open Gate

No one likes to feel trapped.  No one likes the feeling of being stuck and therefore controlled.  Whether we are talking about being physically restrained, religion, or lifes circumstances.

In Jujitsu we are taught to go toward the open gate.  Go toward the way of freedom.  For example, if someone grabs your wrist with thier hand, you would move your wrist toward the open gate; the open space between their fingers and thumb.  As you do this you are gaining freedom from thier grip.  This move toward the open gate is true for all levels of this martial art.  Whether your opponent has your wrist, arm, neck or whole body.

I remember having to use this when being held by Sensai Brian.  The man was not tall, but strong like an ox.  It was black belt (him) verses no belt (me).  I figured that this little open gate move would only really work when I was evenly matched with someone of my limited ability.  So this bear of a man grabs me and by instinct I moved toward the open gate, the place where there was freedom from this mans grip.  I moved, as I had been taught, and in the next instance I actually had freedom!  Freedom from an opponent who I was certain would be able to hold me no matter what I tried.

I know there are many who feel trapped today.  You feel that grip becoming tighter and stronger.  Maybe that grip is finances, a bad relationship, guilt and shame from past desicisions, or emotional trauma.  Maybe you are feeling the grip of sin in your life and have tried to find the opening, the release from it, but have chosen false religions, alcohol, sex or other destructive means in which to find a release.  Trust me, I know the allure of each of these false gates.  However, I also know the end game of each of these...the feeling of being even more trapped.  In fact, it's not just a feeling, you really are trapped even more.

But here is the truth.  This tightening grip can be released from you once and for all.  There is peace and freedom to be found even in this life.  There is a way to freedom that will work, I guarentee it.  This open gate is spoken of by Jesus in John 10:9-10.  This is what he says:

"I am the door. If anyone enters by me, he will be saved and will go in and out and find pasture. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly."

You and I have a way to freedom, here on earth as well as eternity, through the open gate of following and trusting Jesus Christ. 

How do you need to be set free today?

2 comments:

Thanks for the passage. I really needed to hear that. I know Jesus is the Open Gate, He always has been.
I will always have faith in that.. even if it seems impossible.For God always provides a way out.
-Audrey


This is a great verse to memorize in regards to faith.

Hebrews 11:6 ESV

And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.


Subscribe Now: Feed Icon

About Me

My photo
Asotin, WA, United States
Follower of Jesus, husband, dad, and called to be His torch bearer to the world.

Blogs I Read

Followers