torch bearer
bringing the light of Jesus to a dark world John 8:12

God of this City: Baptism in the Holy Spirit

I look at my childhood, and as much as my parents drove me nuts sometimes and I think my dad was so wrong in much of what he did, I still had parents that loved me. They truly wanted the best for me and continued to guide me in what they thought was best. They never abandoned me and made me figure out life on my own. I am so grateful for them for this gift of love they gave me. This empowering they gave me for my future. And now it is my turn to do the same with my kids.

How wonderful it is to know that God, as the perfect Father, has done the same for us. Knowing that we needed a Savior He sent His only Son to die for us. Then, still thinking ahead for us, knowing that we weren't going to make it on our own when Jesus was physically not on earth with us anymore, He left us the Holy Spirit. The very Spirit of Jesus left for us; to guide us and empower us in life.

Jesus tells us that he won't leave us as orphans but will send us a helper.

Jesus' final words on earth were that he wanted us to be his witness in this world and that he would give us the power to do it. To give us the power to live the life that he commanded us to live.

John 15, one of my favorite chapters in the Bible, tells us the secret to living this Spirit filled life. Jesus tells us to abide in him and he will abide in us! Oh, yeah! Not only does he want us to live a Spirit filled life, he also gives us the way to do it! Now that's good parenting.

See ya Sunday at 10am for week three in the God of this City series. This week: Baptism in the Holy Spirit.

How have you needed or relied upon the power of the Holy Spirit during your life?

1 comments:

This is probably not the main subject of your lesson for Sunday but I notice you say we are to be witnesses.

Mark 16:15 and Luke 24:47 say to proclaim or preach depending on the translation. In John 21, Jesus tells Peter to feed and tend His sheep. Mat 28:19 says to make disciples or to teach, again depending on the translation.

I don't think this is contradiction but rather order of operation in a manner of speaking. The evangelist is sent ahead to be witness, followed by the pastor or shepherd to disciple.

I've witnessed to a number of people in my time, even listened to some of them go through the sinners prayer and be popishly proclaimed as saved. But none of them were discipled much beyond that and I can't say I know of any of them still walking with the Lord.

Anyway, didn't mean to go off on a tangent but there you have it. That's my two coppers worth.


Subscribe Now: Feed Icon

About Me

My photo
Asotin, WA, United States
Follower of Jesus, husband, dad, and called to be His torch bearer to the world.

Blogs I Read

Followers