torch bearer
bringing the light of Jesus to a dark world John 8:12

Outta the Comfort Zone

Instead of the comfort zone, sometimes life feels more like the Twilight Zone! This last week, I have started a somewhat part-time job. This job is helping a guy make high end cabinets. I will allow those who know about my construction/craftsmanship skills to catch their breath after gasping. God has gifted me in many ways, the above mentioned not being on the list. I have worked for him before and it was easy. Moving cabinets around, a little sanding here and there, nothing big. Oh, no. Not so this time. This time it involves measuring to a 1/16 of an inch, cutting, jointing. Things that require more skill than I have. I am way out of my comfort zone. It is one thing to screw up on a woodshed in the back yard, and another thing to screw up a $40,000 project! But I'm doing it. Not screwing up the project, that is. God is teaching me something in this. I can do things that I never thought possible when I put my trust in Him. Every time I get a new assignment at work, I have to ask God to help me. Guess what? He does! I see this to be true in every aspect of my life. When I put my trust in Him, His power fills me, and I am able to accomplish what He has for me to do. Something else I have learned. It is actually fun to be stretched. Doing something new is a blast. I think I am getting hooked on being stretched. I honestly want God to ask of me the impossible. I don't know what He will ask of me next, but I hope I'm scared to death to do it.
3 comments:

First of all, I'm sure you inherited some of the "Kelley carpenter genes" (not to be confused with denim pants with lots of pockets!). Dad was a very good carpenter; surely something from his skill rubbed off on you!

Secondly, a very timely message. I'll re-read it several times, I'm sure. I'm feeling stretched as we settle in here, taking on ministry obligations (I just started as director of children's ministry for grades 1-6), meeting new people, and looking at new job opportunities. I'll keep looking to God and not my own strength or abilities. Thanks for the good Word!


Hey little brother...
Read Exodus 31:3! And then keep reading the next few verses after that! Believe it or not, God has gifted you with talents and abilities!


Hey little brother...
Read Exodus 31:3! And then keep reading the next few verses after that! Believe it or not, God has gifted you with talents and abilities!


Subscribe Now: Feed Icon

About Me

My photo
Asotin, WA, United States
Follower of Jesus, husband, dad, and called to be His torch bearer to the world.

Blogs I Read

Followers